Monday, October 17, 2011

No Place Like Home at the Hyde Park Art Center

Today I checked out the No Place Like Home exhibit at the Hyde Park Art Center. It's a show of 5 different photographers' work dealing with the idea of home or community, each in a different way.     
  What struck me the most was a photo by Jon Lowenstien called Sade and Horace.
His photos gave me the closest proximity to "real life" compared to the other photos in the room. The texture and hand made quality of the photos are beautiful and reinforce the humanness of his work. Sade and Horace struck me right away. I don't know how Jon goes about getting people to take pictures of, but I'm assuming he doesn't know them all super closely. That pose that the two people are making is incredible to me. Did Jon tell them to stand like that? It seems natural. I don't think he made them stand like that, or at least I'd like to believe that they just did that of their own accord. The guy, Horace, is totally sexy. The gazes are amazing. They are both looking directly at you, but in very different ways. Her head is level, not lowered or raised. His head is lowered, which makes his gaze more penetrating. I think the major sexual vibe I get from this photo would remain in his face if it was in a different context, not posed with Sade. Her face, on the other hand, doesn't have that sexual power like his, it could be a face from a family photo. She is smiling, he is not.

  I wonder if they are still together. For some reason I think they aren't. Because they're so young and because of the major sexual vibe I get from the photo. Those shorts are so flawless and effortless on her body. He's grasping her against him, holding her boob up with his wrist. He's posing with his left arm behind his back, like a warrior with his prize, or catch. Her hand on his thigh. Her butt up against his pelvis.
 Even though their stance together is not a simple expected stance, it does not feel posed because I feel so much real feeling in it. I think that those two people were just not self-conscious at all when Jon took the photo. Or maybe not not self-conscious, but maybe they were proud to be together and to be sexy, and focused on showing themselves off.

No comments:

Post a Comment